Re: homemade windblocker

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: homemade windblocker
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:12:59 -0700
Even though I am tall enough that my head sticks up above the windscreen, my
hair still blows from back to front, so I think you want your windblocker as
tall as possible -- I don't think it can be "too tall" (within reason --
obviously, six inches over your head might be too tall). The airflow doesn't
come straight back over the top of the windscreen -- it arcs up in a curve,
which you might think of as approximating the profile of the early soft top
(or even higher than that).

I would concur that it needs to be as close as possible to the seat back, or
it will just be introducing a new source of turbulence. I would suggest it
be angled slightly rearwards at the top, in order to fit in more closely to
the rake of the seatback, back of the head, etc. -- leaning forward would
open a considerable gap at cowl height. I also suspect that the tonneau area
should be covered -- the large "hole" would in itself create turbulence, and
allow airflow between the seat backs.

My guess is that some manufacturers use screens with the idea that by
allowing a certain amount of "leak-through", it reduces turbulence from wind
rushing into a low-pressure area. But possibly it is merely because it looks
cool, or doesn't scratch like plexiglass or Lexan.

Just some thoughts...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149