RE: package arrived

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: RE: package arrived
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:17:02 -0400
A few weeks ago, I asked the list for help on mounting an unidentified
steering wheel on my 76B.  Kelvin came to the rescue. He not only
identified it. He had in his own parts collection (not Moss's!) , an unused
hub which we exchanged for lucre.  In my business (biology), someone who
can solve any question is a treasure. He is certainly one of several on
this list I appreciate that way (Yes, you too, Barney).

By the way, a member of my club (British Motor Club of Southern New Jersey)
who had gone into business repairing and rebuilding (Pete Cosmides,
http://www.motorcar-garage.com/ (no, I have no vested interest)  sent me
this note on hub removal without a hub removal tool. It worked like a charm
and was so simple.

"Loosen the center nut so that it is flush with the end of the steering
shaft.  Now, while you sit in the car, apply upward pressure with your knees
on the steering wheel, while at the same time hitting the nut/shaft with a
hammer.  It will/should eventually break free.  Be SURE to leave the nut on
the shaft as described, otherwise the wheel will come flying off and hit you
in the face.
Having an able bodied assistant pulling up on the wheel while you hit with a
hammer is a more effective method.  Spray some penetrating liquid down in
there before you begin is useful as well. Not WD 40...try PB Blaster or
liquid wrench..."

So thanks to both of you, Kelvin and Pete.

Bill Saidel
'76B BMCSNJ