mga radio

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: mga radio
From: "Mike L" <renoman@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:04:54 -0500
Saw a little discussion on B radios a while ago. I'm not much into this stuff
and am looking for any kind of input for my 1600 MGA alternatives. I've gone
to negative ground and like the looks of Clarion DB255 (plays CD-R/RW) or
DB355MP (also plays MP3 encoded CD's) or the DB455MC which in addition has WMA
capability but catches my eye because of the Music Catcher which can store
into memory 3 CD's of music. All models are 17 watts rms x4 or 51 watts x4 and
have remote. Signal to noise ratio is 100db.

The internet stores have these 3 models priced plus or minus $100. (Judging by
the some user internet store reviews, this can be a risky way to purchase.)

First off, what a relief - 50 years later the modern faceplates still fit the
old inst panel hole. The above units are spec'd at 6 1/8 inches deep, my panel
is not in yet, but don't see a problem as the old radiomobiles were that
deep.

What's the story on spark plug suppression caps - will they alone keep the
static out or do I also need suppression wires?

I'm looking at least installing the Moss flush mount $9 antenna with a 9.5"
depth. A power antenna would be nice, and they run $60 plus. The Moss power
antenna requires 13.5" depth and a Metra PW 22 requires 12.5". Originally
MGA's had flush mount antennas in the kerbside front fender. Has anyone been
there done that - and will the power units fit?

Finally what to do about speakers? 4" round? Presume you might fit at least
two under the dash or in the door panels, possibly another two in the rear?

Mike