Re: Front Hub Bearing Replacement

To: "S. Allen" <scottallen3663@gmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Hub Bearing Replacement
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:09:21 +0100
Hi Scott,

Sorry to say, but the Haynes manual nicel had lead me through the basic
procedures.
However the list was great with a practical hint:

When adjusting the float of the bearing, do this by using the shims of
different size.
Do not use bearing grease at the time finding out the right shim set, but
use plenty of motor oil.
The oil makes the shims sticking to all surfaces, where the shims ought to
be making contact with.
But on the other end it does not become a greasy mess, where one even can
lose shims.
Grease adds some thickness, which may the bearing look to be well adjusted
with the right pack of shims, but when being finally packed and tightened
with the right torque settings some bearing play may occur, so you can start
all over again.
So when you have found the right shim pack for the end float by tightening
the bearing nut with the right torque, unpack it all afterwards.
Now fully pack everything with the bearing grease and again tighten the nut
again with the right torque.
Lock the castle nut with the split pen and the job is done.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hans

'71 BGT