Re: steam cleaning

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steam cleaning
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:58:04 +1030
On 17/01/2006, at 1:55 PM, oliver wrote:

> is it likely, then, that the steam cleaning also removed the
> paint?  is it
> possible that the car left the factory with an unpainted engine?
>
> the valve cover, and the cap, were painted silver when i got the car,
> perhaps to rectify the steam cleaning?
>
> http://www.sumton.com/daves/cars/mgb/PB170070.JPG

Wow, if that is an aircon setup (I guess I see the compressor there
as well) I am not sure how the poor old motor hauls it around :-)

With that restriction to the radiator you wouldn't survive in
Australia - where you might need aircon most.

I see lots of missing paint here, well compared to my engine and
engine-bay components which I have lying all over the kitchen floor
at the moment.

Looks like you could be in for a bit of what I am doing at the
moment, only worse.  I am scraping, de-greasing, buffing-where-
warranted and painting-where-required every little piece before I put
it back inside the freshly painted engine bay.  It ain't meant to be
a "show" car but I could not put all that stuff back inside that
great paintjob without at least making sure everything was clean and
some effort was made to bring the bits back to life.

Good luck to you!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia