Re: MGA windshield

To: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: MGA windshield
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:04:26 -0600
At 05:08 PM 2/27/06, Gordie Bird wrote:
>I'm about to order a new one and see in Moss catalog the
>availability of glazing for glass up to .249" thick (280-735) and
>.250" and greater (280-745), yet, the windshield listing (456-070)
>doesn't list the thickness of the glass.
>Anybody get one lately that can measure it (at the edges I suspect)?

It's a secret?  Thicker glass would seem to require thinner glazing
material, right?  Well, it's a twisted story.

A few years ago there was some abnormally thin glass on the market,
about .0180" thick, under the brand name "Perfect Glass".   See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft006.htm

Another brand of thin glass "SAFEVUE" also showed up about the same
time, about 0.217" thick.

If I have the story right, Moss Motors had some thicker glazing
material made up in an attempt to accomodate tthe thin glass.  The
thin glass turned out to be junk for a number of reasons, including
being too small on the perimeter in teh case of PG, so I believe most
of it was thrown out or sent back, and I hope we never see it again.

Then someone reported a glass in a MGA 1600 parts cer which was
thicker than standard at about 0.274".  This could not be installed
using the standard thickness glazing material.  This glass had no
brand marking, and the vintage is unknown.  For more information on
various brands of MGA glass, see here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/windscrn/wt_103.htm

This is the first time I've heard of Moss having thinner glazing for
thicker glass.  I hesitate to imply anything, but maybe it's
something left over from an earlier manufacturing goof.  It's
probably good that the thiner glazing is available, but there may not
be many appliacaations for it.  The standard thickness for MGA
windscgeen glass would be 0.250-0.235.  "MG" brand from BMHIT and
"Triplex" brand seem to conform to that.  Some other brands are
thinner, which would be undesireable.  I hav not heard of a current
supply of glass being thicker than 0.250", but wonders never
cease.  If anyone has new information to add, do tell.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com