Re: 1960 MGA Tail Lamps

To: "allan" <Allan.Thompson@ntlworld.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1960 MGA Tail Lamps
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:31:40 -0600
At 08:41 AM 3/1/06, Allan Thompson wrote:
>My 1960 MGA didn't have turn signals when I bought it

All MGA do have turn signals.  Check again?

>and looking at the chrome base and trying various bulbs, only the
>two filament type will fit.

Is your MGA a 1500 or 1600 model?  There is a difference in the turn
signals.  The transition point from 1500 to 1600 model was in May
1959 at Car Number 68851, but an earlier car may have a 1960 title.

The 1500 has a single 2-filament bulb for tail light and brake
light.  The turn signals use a relay in the engine compartment to
switch the brake light filament into the turn signal circuit.

The 1600 model has a additional small round lamp for the rear turn
signal above the single bulb tail lamp.  If your car is 68851 or
higher it should have this extra rear lamp and no relay.

>I will fit a separate turn signal.

If your car is a 1600 model with the earlier style single tail light,
then it has been tampered with.  The single tail light setup needs
the relay for turn signals.  There a difference in the wiring
harness, so it is not easy to add the relay to the 1600 model without
changing the harness.  It might be easier to installl the correct
1600 style rear plinths and lamps than teo install a new wiring
harness and (expensive) relay.

If your car is a 1500 model, then it should have the correct wiring
harness and relay to operate turn signals using the brake light bulbs.

>Is there a different base for a single filament bulb for the stop light?

The tail light and brake light fixture is identical on all MGA 1500
and 1600 with the two filamement bulb.  The 1500 shares the high
filament for brake light ans turn signal.

After April 1959 the 1600 had an additional lamp fixture with single
filament bulb for the rear turn signal, no relay, and different wiring harness.

Starting in March 1961 the 1600-MK-II model had a different
combination rear lamp fixture on the body below the deck lid, but
still used 2 bulbs and the same wiring as the 1600 model.

For turn signal wiring diagrams see here:
1500 = http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/circ_f2.htm
1600 = http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/circ_f3.htm

Flasher = http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et104.htm
Relay = http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et105.htm