RE: rebuild or part out?

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rebuild or part out?
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:05:58 -0800 (PST)
Phil Bates <jello@ida.net> wrote:  I agree with Dan - trying to restore and
come out ahead is typically a
losing battle.  Look for a better example.  I did keep track of my
receipts on my '67 MGB - which I bought in 1995 or so.  Including gas,
insurance, lisence plates and all.  I was up over $26,000 last I checked
(about 6 months ago), but I've put over 100,000 miles on the car, so
that's really not that bad on a cost per mile basis, but it certainly
isn't cheap either.  I would never dream that I could get back out of it
what  I put in - even ignoring the running costs (capital cost is somewhere
closer to $15000). I think I could get more like $3000 - $4000. In the  long
run, it will need more work to - mostly to combat rust.

Anyhow, if you're going to drive these cars, don't expect to come out much
ahead.  I paid $3000 to buy mine, and overspent on things like an
overdrive transmission, wire wheels, wire wheel rear axle etc. etc.

As far as the re-shelling of a B goes......I know people that went that
route thinking it would work the best.  After the fact they found they
were wrong.  This was when the new shells had just come out, but they were
something like $5000, the panel fit was lousy, they still had to be
painted, and everything transferred from your car to the shell, and to top
it off they were some odd conglomeration of years of body dies that could
be scrounged up.  So not everything fit properly for any specific year.
Further, one guy did it and in less than 5 years had massive rust in his
"new" rockers.  I'd repeat - find a better car, don't bother with a
re-shell.

On another note - if you really want to go upside down on the money - buy
a rusty porsche 911, 914, or 356 - the parts are four times what MG parts
cost.  Been there done that one too.

Good  info here, Phil, especially about taking the 'long view'..... When I  was
talking about reshelling, I didn't really have a Heritage shell in  mind, but
buying a car with a better body and transferring everything  over from his
current car.

  And I meant to put a smiley face after my opening statement about  getting
rid of the car.... Didn't mean for it to sound quite that  harsh! ;-) ;-)

Dan D
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - "On the Road Again....!"
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328