Re: shoes

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shoes
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:33:29 -0700
Well, what are you wearing now?

I know that most current sport shoes and walking shoes feature exaggerated
padded rolls around the ankle opening. It's easy to see how these might
cause irritation.

A good driving shoe (for a B, where your foot can't ever be flat on the
floor) would be very low cut around the ankle (like a classic loafer), and
have a very low heel (to avoid the "balanced on the knife-edge heel"
syndrome). It also needs a stiff sole, or at least a reinforced arch, so you
don't get a pressure bruise or metarsal arch cramp from the tiny pedals.

At any rate, the things they sell as "driving shoes" resemble Italian
loafers with heelless soles, though they often feature knobby treads.

On the other hand, it is possible a high-top lace-up shoe could work by
supporting the ankle. Racing shoes are often high-top, though that may have
more to do with fireproofing than comfort.

What definitely doesn't work for me are my running shoes. The wide,
wedge-shaped heels and other knobbly protrusions get caught on the pedals
and carpet, and are generally awkward. But my hand-sewn Italian loafers have
soles that are too thin (you can feel the pedals as a definite lump) and
slick (slipping off the brake and clutch).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149