Re: wire wheel prep

To: Greg Kindall <gregkindall@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheel prep
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:31:51 -0700
Greg Kindall wrote:

> I've just reconditioned my wire wheels (knockoffs, 4.5x14, newly
> painted silver) and am about to have new tires put on. A couple of
> questions that I think have been mentioned on the list before, but I'd
> be glad to hear any opinions --
>
> In lieu of proper rim bands, what about using sections of inner tube?
> (and how wide should these be?). I've also heard of duct tape being
> used. Are there problems with these ad hoc adaptations that I should
> be aware of? (Yes, I like to be cheap if I can.)

After many problems with duct tape, British Wire Wheel in Santa Cruz
told me to use 10 mil PVC plumber's tape. It's lasted at least as long
as the tires. I just hand a roll to the guys mounting the tires and tell
them to apply two layers. No flats, or other problems.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose

--
------
Sure, "Scrum" is a weird name, but "Assault and Battery" was already taken.