Rough running 75 MGB

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rough running 75 MGB
From: <spankyway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 7:45:12 -0400
   Maybe you guys can shed some light for me. I have a 75 MGB with a rebuilt
head, according to the PO. I had to rebuild the distributor because the points
plate was frozen. I rebuilt the carb this weekend and I am still having the
same problems, I can't get it to run smoothly over 3500 rpm. I took it for a
test drive this weekend and it seemed to be good up to 3500 then it started
sputtering and acting like the timing is off. I got out and started doing some
"adjusting" to the timing and started pouring white smoke out of the exhaust.
Once I got in the car and reved the engine a few times and cleared out the
smoke it ran real nice for a short period. I don't know what the problem is, I
do know that on the driveway I can redline the engine with no problems, as soon
as I get on the road I start having trouble.
Steve