How necessary is the "anti-flash cover" in a 1978 MGB

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How necessary is the "anti-flash cover" in a 1978 MGB
From: Desmond Mullen <dkmullen@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:07:30 -0500
Hey MG folks,

How necessary is the "anti-flash cover" in a 1978 MGB distributor? I believe
the distributor is the original (electronic) piece.

When I did a tuneup last weekend, I found that there was no anti-flash
cover. Would this be more likely to cause an _incremental_ drop in
performance or a _major_ drop in performance? The car is running great and
apparently has been without the anti-flash cover for a while so I'm inclined
to think it's not that important. Any comments?

Thanks!

-Desmond
'78 MGB (daily driver!)
--