[Mgs] MGA 1600 rear lamp wiring problem.

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGA 1600 rear lamp wiring problem.
From: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:55:43 -0500
I have a MGA 1600 whose rear lamps stay on after the car is turned off
and the light switch is off..  It is both rear lamps (not the stop light
or the turn signal).  The front pilot lights do not stay on ( I believe
they are on the same circuit as the rear lamps).  When I disconnect the
power cable from the battery (neg. on this pos. earth car) the lights go
out.  If I reconnect the battery power cable within 15 minutes or so the
lights go on again.  But if the battery power cable is disconnected for
an hour or more, the rear lamps will not be on until I run the car for a
while.  Weird, isn't it?  I might add that the fuel gauge seemed to go
bad at about the same time.  It read full constantly, but I cleaned off
the connection at the sending unit and tightened it up.  Now the fuel
gauge stays at empty!

Any insights you may have other than to replace the wiring harness
(which I really should do anyway this winter) would be appreciated.
--
Robert Guinness
1961 MGA 1600