Re: [Mgs] Brakes

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Brakes
From: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:50:13 -0500
Group,

        These cars are now so old that most (if not all) have had the
brake light switch replaced at least once.  Who knows if the installer
knew the replacement had to be adjusted....  I would not have known if
not for what I read on this forum.  So, after a new switch install (and
an owner change?), the MGB owner has brake issues that require bleeding.
Bleeding is not successful and so on.
        I believe Steve's E-Mail is right on.  If it is that easy to
check & adjust (and it is), before looking at anything else, to check
the switch adjustment using the repair manual, or if the owner had no
manual, to back the switch off until its not making contact with the
pedal.
        It just seems to me that this is where everyone should start
before they bleed their brakes for the first time or try to solve
problems that could be caused by wrong master cylinder push rod length
or pedal height adjustment.  If I've missed something here, please let
me know.
        Anyone know is a "slightly" misadjusted switch could cause
dragging brakes & possibly warped rotors ?

Thanks, Skip
'74 B  (CB)