Re: [Mgs] Good news and bad news

To: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Good news and bad news
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:25:53 -0600
Rick Lindsay wrote:
> Hello Gang,
>    I did the compression test on a hot engine and here
> is what I found:
>
> Cyl.   Dry      Wet
> -----+--------+-------
>   1   130 psi  136 psi
>   2   105 psi  110 psi
>   3   130 psi  136 psi
>   4   130 psi  135 psi
>
> Interpretation:
>
> Bottom end good, top end bad on cylinder #2.  This car
> has not been driven in many months but that's not
> enough lack of use to account for the #2 pressure
> drop.  What this tells me is that the head needs a
> valve job.
>
> So it sounds like I now have a little more
> mechanic-work before the winter is out.  I'd better go
> now.  I have a workplan to build.  Okay, I have to
> admit.  I look forward to this work.  I like the
> precision of seating then adjusting valves.
>
> regards,
>
> rick
> '70 MGB Tourer with an ill 18GB engine. :-)
You probably were already aware of this, but just in case: I always set the
valve clearances before doing a compression test. I have done this ever since I
removed a head unnecessarily on a Mini in 1964. The cylinder I thought had a
bad valve actually had the clearances set too tight on one valve (I assume),
since, when I got the head off, all the valves were in fine shape.

-The Roxter