Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:52:06 -0600
Aaron Whiteman wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Murray Arundell wrote:
>

>> I'm sorry Aaron but those statements are rediculous and yiur views
>> are at odds with every motor engineer currently practising. Except
>> it seems John Twist and as such I would have therefore suspect his
>> opinions on anything.
>>

> I'm sorry, but perhaps you didn't learn the definition of 'anecdotal'.
>
> Anecdotal (adjective): (of an account) not necessarily true or
> reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or
> research.
>
> So, before you attack my statements as ridiculous, consider what I
> wrote.  My *anecdotal* experience is that the overdrive does nothing
> to improve gas mileage, but does significantly improve the
> enjoyability of driving at high speeds for long distances.  In fact,
> my overdrive-equipped MG gets *worse* mileage when compared to a non-
> OD equipped car with the same driver (as I wrote previously, I
> suspect other factors are involved).  As a second *anecdotal* note,
> when my OD was inoperative, my mileage on a 180 mile trip from
> Ellensburg to Pullman was still right within the range I normally get
> (26-30).  I noted it only in that there was no change to note.
>
> Your mileage may vary.  Mine didn't.
I normally keep my tater trap tight shut here, unless I have some unique advice
to share, but I can't keep quiet about this.

Dammit, guys, real gentlement don't just come out and call each other liars or
idiots, even if we (possibly erroneously) think that to be a true description
at the time.

"rediculous"

Murray, the word is "ridiculous;" it derives from "ridicule." I'll bet you ten
bucks you pronounce it that way too, "Re" without a clue that some people
around you are discounting your contributions because of that usage.

A simple request: Lets's have a shitload more comeraderie and a similar s. l.
less contempt shown.

-The Roxter