Re: [Mgs] Water Pump Replacement

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, <mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com>, "MG
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Water Pump Replacement
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:37:31 +0100
Cast or alloy?  My alloy pump had to be 'engineered' to fit by filing one of
the holes out on one side and the boss on another one cut down so I could
use the original bolts, they are a mixture of short and long.  The gasket
that came with it was correct, so compare the two and be half-way there.  A
cast one I bought years ago when the relatively new alloy one started
weeping during warm-up has the correct spacing and bosses, but it's still in
the boot as the alloy one never got any worse!

Make sure the old and new pumps have the same nose length, there are both
long and short nose versions which are interchangeable on some engines at
least.  This affects both the pulley and the metal mechanical fan.  The
pulley and pump *must* go together as a pair, there is almost an inch
difference in the two.  You can get away with the fan, a short nose pump
should have a spacer between the pulley and the fan, a long-nose doesn't.
Without a spacer on a short nose pump you have to fit the fan the 'wrong'
way round or it hits the engine.  See
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_coolingframe.htm and click on 'Mechanical
Fans' for what I mean.  Plastic fans are probably different.

It is easier removing the radiator with the mechanical fan although possible
without it, forward mounted radiator doesn't need to be removed of course.
If you've not removed it before then you could have problems with the bolts
shearing of course.  If you have the mechanical fan then I'd advise a new
fitting kit or grommets and lock-tabs as a minimum unless they are
relatively new.  Use a smear of non-setting gasket sealant such as Hermetite
Red on both sides of the gasket, not that 'orrible silicone muck which
squishes out everywhere.  Don't overtighten the belt, 1/4" of free play (not
stretch) either side.

PaulH.