[Mgs] MGA Points

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGA Points
From: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:47:25 -0500
I have had to replace the points on my MGA's distributor after only 3
months of service (less than a 1,000 miles).  Apparently, the rubbing
block wore down so that the points remained closed.  The points could
not be adjusted to increase the gap because they were already fully
adjusted out.  I used Lucas points, part #151-720.  Has anyone else
experienced this problem?  Is there a cause other than a defective
part?  If so, what should I do to prevent its reoccurence?  The
replacement set that was installed is also a Lucas 151-720.  When I
installed the new set, they are adjusted nearly all the way out (i.e. no
more room to open the gap much further).  The problem surfaces when it
gets progressively more difficult to start the car.  However, once it
starts, it runs fine  --  until the next time when it won't start.
--
Robert Guinness