Re: [Mgs] Follow up to MGA 1600 MkII front end suspension suspense

To: <crk@godblessthe.us>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Follow up to MGA 1600 MkII front end suspension suspense
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:36:10 +0100

--===============2982262668819147392==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0C2C7.2158E9E0"

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0C2C7.2158E9E0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

If the oil seal collar fits on the stub axle and the oil seal itself is =
pressed into the hub, as on the MGB, then the spacer has to butt up =
against the inner race of the bearing.  Anything else would mean the oil =
seal or the outer race would have to rotate inside the hub.

I don't know whether this =
http://www.mgexp.com/article/mgb/mg-midget-wheel-bearings/bad-midget-wire=
-wheel-hub.jpg is any help but it describes how what seems to be a =
similar problem can occur on the Midget which has fully assembled ball =
bearings instead of tapered rollers.  Replacement hubs have a radius =
where the inner race of the outer bearing butts up against a shoulder, =
which holds the bearing further out than it should be.  The spacer is =
loose, but everything else is 'tight' as it is the bearings themselves =
that are taking any force applied to the nut and will fail prematurely.  =
As long as the nut is not tightened you could still achieve the .002 to =
.004 (same as the MGB it seems) end float on the bearings, but at the =
expense of having the bearing inners free to move on the stub axle and =
loss of strength in the axle itself.  Steering would be fine.  =
Ironically there are more than a few that opine this is the best way to =
set up MGB front wheel bearings!

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  Yes, I think all three of us are singing in harmony. Both sides on my =
A were missing the oil seal spacer. From looking at the drawing in the =
workbook, and not having my spacer yet, it appears that that spacer fits =
in the inner diameter of the oil seal and butts up against the brake =
adapter plate and the inner bearing bearing (can't tell if it is the =
inner or outer race). I am really surprised that I don't have =
significant damage with the oil seal spacer missing: I would have =
thought the steering would be really bad.

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0C2C7.2158E9E0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"; xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml";><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE>@font-face {
        font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
        MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
        MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {