Re: vacuum

To: ldmcjr@datasync.com, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: vacuum
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:17:48 -0400 (EDT)
I have a '71 +8 that I picked up at the factory, but with full U.S. and
California  modifications. Of the three spouts on the manifold, one was
soldered shut, one went to the vacuum advance (actually retard) on the
distributor, and one went to a vacuum operated flap on the air intake. I have
since dispensed with both, as I now have a very nice Mallory Unilite
distributor with no vacuum advance, and I changed the air intake for a more
recent one used on European +8's that has a bimetal strip to select warmed or
unwarmed air. I am interested to learn that my +8 is one of only 46. I drive
it to work, and it now has over 170,000 miles on it. When a piston collapsed
a few years ago, and after an unsuccessful rebuild, I bought a TR8 engine
from a junkyard (allegedly with 10,000 miles on it, and it is still running
fine. I had a cosmetic restoration done recently and it looks like new. David
Collins, 4430 Arista Dr., San Diego, CA 92103 (619)297-5749