Re: hubs inquiry

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: hubs inquiry
From: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 97 08:26:00 PDT
As I understand it, The Hub carrier is kind of hard to get wrong as it is
attached to the steering arm and would look very wrong if on the wrong side.
 However the hub itself is mounted on a bearing on the hub carrier and the
left and the right side look much the same!!  So just like the example we
heard of someone getting it wrong at the back the front can be wrong too.

The best fix is probably never to take them both off at once!!

While on the subject is anyone aware of why they undo (or tighten up for
that matter) in the way they do?  After all the wheel is on a spline on the
hub so wheel and hub and spinner rotate as one when you have given then a
good few hard belts so they are real tight.

Mine undo by turning the top to the front  (if you see what I mean) on
either side, so if the cause is the spinner continuing to rotate with
inertia while the wheel stops under braking they would have been off down
the road some time ago!!!  Experience suggests  (4 or 5 punctures so far)
 that they tighten up (apart from the left rear which slackens when first
put on and then stays like that).  (my wife thinks it has a mind of its own)

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4 4 seater
Hampshire UK