Rear Seal Replacement

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear Seal Replacement
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:19:41 -0400
Steve writes:

>I will be replacing leaking rear axle seals on my 67 4/4 in the near
>future.  I would appreciate any insight into the job as my workshop manual
>does not cover this!  Any special tools or problems?  Thanks
>
>Steve
>Auburn, CA
>67 4/4 1600 Xflow

I haven't done this on a Morgan rear axle but I have done it on an MGB
solid rear axle, so I'll hypothesize that its basically the same
arrangement.  The process is a pretty easy one assuming that you don't have
to deal too much with rusted frozen bolts.  The one point that you may have
trouble with is removal of the half shafts from the housings.  The tip I
received from my then local MG mechanic was to employ link chain.  You'll
need to get chain with a large enough opening in the links so you can pass
the halfshaft bolts through it and secure the lug nuts on the bolts.  Then
YANK the chain until you loosen the half shaft and can pull it the rest of
the way out.  In fact, the job on my B went well tho I'm led to believe
that this can be a tough job.  Otherwise its pretty straight forward.  Make
sure you drive the new seals in evenly.  If they bend or deform too much
then they likely wont make a good seal and the effort will be for naught.
Keep the bearing grease CLEAN!!

good luck,
Will Zehring
'67 4/4 (that wishes it were a 1600 Xflow)