Re: Oil Cooler Installation

To: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us (Armando Picciotto)
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler Installation
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:52:18 -0400
Fellow mog-o-philes:

I would add only one point to what Armando has said regarding oil coolers.
I didn't catch this in his message if he did it or not but it seems like a
good idea to me and I did this when I installed the oil cooler on my MG:
fill the cooler itself with fresh oil before you do the final hose
installations.  I think the cooler I installed on the B took almost half a
quart.  You are effectively increasing the oil capacity of the engine by
installing the cooler and I didn't think it good for the motor to run for a
while letting all the oil preasure be spent on filling up the hoses and
cooler.  Then, after the engine has run for the first time top of the oil
with the dipstick indicator just to make sure that the oil level in the pan
is proper.  Some folks fill fresh oil filters with the same thought in
minde.  For those of you who drive your mogs in the dark of winter I have
seen a temperature sensitive bypass valve that you can splice into the two
oil cooler hoses that will return not yet warm enough oil directly to the
engine as the motor warms up.  Seems like a good idea but I have no
experience with it.

Will Zehring