Re: The Customs Man From Hell

To: Jonathan_Russell@placerdome.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The Customs Man From Hell
From: Ben Hodgkiss <benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:13:09 +0100 (BST)
> From:           Jonathan_Russell@placerdome.com

>      Ben, did you see the Morgan replicar that a Turkish person is
>      building? For all the world it looks like a Morgan even down to the
>      winged badge. The soft top is made of leather. One of my friends in
>      our MOG Northwest saw one and befriended the maker. He was trying to
>      get an export/import permit into the USA but thus far we have not seen
>      any over here. And yes it had a VW engine.

Jonathan,

I didn't see the car but I did, in retrospect, hear about it. We were
having a drink one evening with our cars parked outside the cafe,
when the bar owner starts talking to us. He starts points to my car
saying that they make a couple a week of them in Istambul. We're
saying things like "No, you're mistaken there, mate" but this guy's
insisting that they're even exported to the UK. The thought of anyone
making a Morgan replica in Turkey simply never entered my head. I'd
entirely forgotten the conversation until your email. Does anyone else
on the list have any information about this?

Ben  1972 4/4

Ben Hodgkiss                           email: benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk
Maintenance Systems Manager            phone: +44 (0)1905 766862
Environmental Services Department      fax:   +44 (0)1905 766890
Hereford & Worcester County Council