temp guage

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: temp guage
From: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 10:18:19 -0800 (PST)
Does anyone have a simple and inexpensive solution to replacing an temp gauge
sending unit?  The one in my '67 +4 rests on hot (as it should), but remains
on hot when the ignition is on (as it shouldn't).  Although there is a bare
breath of life in it (it sometimes wanders down below Hot nearly to N), I'd
like to replace it.  Of course, Smith doesn't make them anymore and, of
course, the Morgan sender/guage is exactly backwards of any other guages in
the world - at least the I'm aware of.

Morganspares will send it off to have the guts of the guage replaced and a
new sender for only $175.  I've located a Hillman guage with the same case as
the Morgan's and a B/W face that has real numbers (not authentic and not a
raised, but a real temptation), and could swap guages and faces and probably
find a sending unit that works somewhere, but before I do this, I thought I'd
field the question to the experience of this group.

Oh, yes. MOMA (now here in Albuquerque) can transform an Oil pressure
guage to good mechanical temp guage for about $100 (+ the oil
guage/sending unit).  But I'd rather find a less complex & expensive fix.

Bob Alexander
Los Lunas, NM
'67 +4