Re: Wooden Dash Boards

To: "J.D. Welch" <jdwelch@datawing.com>
Subject: Re: Wooden Dash Boards
From: Phil Fisher <pcfisher@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:59:06 -0800
JD:

I can speak from personal experience at least with the 4/4.  When I was
first looking at my 1970 4/4 4-seater during the summer of 1972 (mine left
the works on October of 1970; and was a true interim model, i.e. it has a
solid steering column and the ignition key is directly above the steering
column in the center of the facia), the same supplier also had a 1969 4/4
4-seater available for sale.

The 1970 has the new style, vinyl covered dash with glove box hole on the
left (mine is RHD) and instrument cluster in the center.  The instrument
cluster consists of the speedometer on the right and a combination group
the same size as the speedometer.  All in all it has the same general
appearance as the last of the Plus 4's and the early Plus 8's.  The lights,
?heater?, and driving lamp are controlled by rocker type switches which are
identical to the first Plus 8's.

The 1969 4/4 4-seater had a wood facia which looked identical to the Series
V 4/4's, including the square instrument cluster with a minimum of real
instruments.

Padding above the facia came along, I believe in 1972.  Either of Ken
Hill's new books (well, relatively new) on the 4-wheel Morgan has good
detail, often to the extent of specifying frame numbers of significant
changes.

Regards,

Phil Fisher
1970 4/4 4-seater