RE: Starting when hot.....

To: "'Hooley, Tim T'" <Tim.Hooley@gs.com>,
Subject: RE: Starting when hot.....
From: SOLOW GREG <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 16:24:24 -0800
It sounds like something in the electrical circuit for the starter is =
getting high resistance when it gets hot. =20
1. Check the battery cables and the connections at both the battery and =
at the ground and at the starter. Make certain that they are all clean =
and tight.=20
2. Use a ammeter to check the stater draw when it is hot and =
malfunctioning. It should be over 100amps and less than 200 amps.  If it =
is low the problem is most likley a bad connection, if it is high , it =
is most likely a bad starter. You can also use a volt meter  to check =
"voltage drop" in the starter power and ground ciruits.  To do this you =
hook a volt meter in parallel  with the circuit to be measure while the =
circuit is in operation.  This will probably take two people.  While the =
starter is cranking, connect the two leads of a volt meter between the =
positive battery post and the battery cable connection frist on the =
solenoid(which on your Fiat engine is part of the starter) and then in a =
second test on the heavy connector between the solenoid and the starter =
motor itself. The difference between the two measurements is the voltage =
drop inside the solenoid.  The total voltage drop should not be more the =
.2 volts. Doing the same test on the "ground " side of the circuit, =
between the negative post of the battery and the block of the engine =
should not result in a voltage drop of more than .1 volt.  The battery =
must be fully charged to do these tests.DO NOT CONNECT THE VOLTMETER =
BETWEEN THE BATTERY POSITIVE TERMINAL AND THE HEAVEY WIRE THAT GOES =
DIRECTLY INTO THE STARTER IF THE STARTER IS NOT ACTUALLY BEING ACTUATED =
AND IS CRANKING OR TRYING TO CRANK AND DO NOT LEAVE  IT CONNECTED AFTER =
STOPPING THE STARTER FROM CRANKING. THE VOLT METER WILL BLOW IF YOU DO. =
It must be in parallel.High voltage drops mean high resistance. High =
resistance ussually means bad connections.  Marelli starters are =
notoriously bad. It many be a bad starter.   Regards, Greg Solow