Handbrake

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Handbrake
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 02:05:36 EDT
I thought the message (From Bob Nogieura?) about folding the strands of the
cable inside the ferrule before soldering was a real gem. Is it neccessary to
then use silver solder, or will ordinary solder suffice?

Is there a solution for this problem?:
On my '71 +8 the keyed washer that goes outside the front wheel bearing, that
I take off every 10,000 miles in order to dutifully grease said bearing, has
a pitiful stamped dimple that is supposed to act as a key. On my right front
hub the dimple worked its way out of the keyway, so that the remains of the
dimple has scored a groove around the stub axle, with the result that it must
now spin merrily with the bearing when the car is in motion. New washers
don't help, as the groove is now deep enough to allow even the new dimple to
enter. The keyway seems to be deep enough to do the job if only I had a
washer with a deep enough key. I tried putting a dab of weld on the dimple,
to make it longer, and then filed it to fit, but the weld was soon forced
off, and the situation reverted to ground zero. I have not become too
exercised about it, as there seems to be no damage to the bearing or the
races, and the wheel rotates quite smoothly. (for more 10,000 mile cycles
than I care to think about).
What is the advice-let well enough alone? Dave Collins, San Diego