Re: Long silky scarves in Houston

To: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Long silky scarves in Houston
From: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 14:08:54 -0700
I don't think we're in any danger from Kathi's scarves.

Isadora Duncan indeed died on the Cote d'Azur in France, and it was indeed
a Bugatti that killed her. Her last words before roaring off were, "Je vais
a gloire" (I'm going to glory), which certainly she did, although not in
the way expected. However, her scarf was not the traditional two-yard (or
meter) aviator's scarf, but one woven for her. I don't remember how long it
was but 30 or 36 feet stick in my mind. I also remember that it was knitted
for her by one of the daring Hollywood crowd. Mercedes d'Acosta is sticking
in my head, but I think that's wrong. D'Acosta was not the weaving sort.

        Yours in pedantry,
        Jon