Re: PROBLEM - sidecurtain rubbers

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PROBLEM - sidecurtain rubbers
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 17:13:02 -0500
At 07:53 AM 11/7/00 EST, Tony wrote:

>This is the reply I got from Metro Moulded Rubber Parts...Any help here?
>Gotta clean
>section of the rubber flange/gasket from a sliding curtain- the rubber that
>goes 3/4
>(front,top,back), around the aluminum frame? My curtains have nothing but a
>nub of
>rubber, so I can't even give dimensions...

I answered in directly, earlier today, as I could not post to the mailing
list from my location at that time.

Many of you old timers may remember several years ago, I tried to get
up an order for these.  I didn't have the front money to fund the entire
operation myself and we never got enough commitments to take the project
forward.

What I found at that time was:

1. The factory changed their sidecurtain frame some time about 1970.
2. The rubber that is mostly available through the normal Morgan vendors
   is for the newer frames and does not fit the old frames.
3. Talking to some of the suppliers/restorers, they indicated that they
   didn't worry about it, when they were restoring a car.  They mearly
   supplied NEW side curtains.
4. I tried several of the "universal" weather strips and NONE fit!!!

I found this last item NOT to be very cost effective.  The rubber should
cost less than $20.  New side curtains were somewhere in the range of
$350 and up.  This was at least 5 years ago.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org