Re: seatbelts and machine guns

To: lmg@gomog.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: seatbelts and machine guns
From: CHarris990@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:25:46 EST
Lorn,

That we would disagree on seatbelts is not unusual.  That somehow, what had
taken
> place as a light hearted view would cause a vitriolic comparison between
> Canada and your preconceived ideas of Texas is curious and has nothing to
> do with Morgans or that Matilda can take on all comers in a slalom.  That
> anyone is proud of where they are from is, as it should be, and a little
> xenophobia to cover an inferiority complex may be commendable.
> >>Canadians are very simple folk. After exhaustive studies in your country
> and ours and all over the world proved that executing people never
> stopped or deterred anyone from breaking a law, we came to the obvious
> conclusion that capital punishment was only giving "closet murderers" a
> vicarious kick...which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the thing,
> don't you think? After all, isn't Texas executing more and more people
> every year? Unless the State has expanded the death penalty into parking
> violations, it doesn't seem to be doing much good for crime.<<

The law is not for your 'closet murderers' or to reform a miscreant, because
in Texas where we believe in a person being responsible for their actions the
penalty for murder is forfeiture of the life of the capitol murderer.  Your
hyperbole is cute.

> >>Instead, (silly us), we passed laws restricting the possession of
> hunting howitzers, automatic weaponry and handguns. I cannot think of
> any area of any Canadian city that I couldn't walk in day or night. That
> is freedom.<<

So is a prison.  That there is danger in freedom is true, as to quote from
Mr. Adams.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better
than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not
your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands, which feed you. May
your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ye were our
countrymen."
Samuel Adams
And yes, I am a member of a militia and yes I hunt and fish and yes Texas'
deer population is out of hand and culling plans are in the offing especially

> >>We also discovered that doctors, hospitals and insurance companies
> couldn't run the health care community without rampant silliness and
> prices going sky-high. We stopped this because we kinda figured that
> health was too important to controlled by greed. I see no freedom or
> national pride in a sick person being left that way.<<

Again, I have no idea what this has to do with Morgans, that being said, my
family has paid for our insurance ourselves and we will give to the charity
that we chose.  I will resist any atenpt for any government to determine what
I may seek as compinsation for may services or charge for my time. That you
assume that is the duty of the state is simply a different view that I have.
We allow our legislature to meet every other year for a couple of months.  We
do not have income taxes and think that taking care of the indigent is a
private matter.  What you see as national pride is yours.  As stated, I have
no idea what this has to do with Morgans but if you are interested in things
Texan you have placed me in a humorous position since I am part of an
organization attempting to have Texas as an independent nation once again.

> >>I am unsure what you mean here. Quebec City was thriving before the
> Mayflower ever sailed and we have had autonomous home rule since
> 1867...for 134 years now. My Texan history may be weak and please
> correct me if I am wrong but I always assumed that the independent
> Republic of Texas lasted nine years from 1836 to 1845 when it became
> 28th state of our great friend and neighbor, the USA. Am I missing
> something here outside of your report of Texas' huge population
> increase?<<

Ah, my views are not dependent on England.  El Paso was established in the
1580s, and the French settlement under La Salle failed in the 1680s, which
led to the founding of San Antonio by the Spanish.  The other is a legal
question on whether or not Texas ever actually joined the Union and if it did
then, as a Republic prior to that,
had the right to secede as it did in 1861.
Texas' population is at about 23 million, and if wrong I apologize as I was
under the impression that was about the same as Canada.

> >>Perhaps having enormously more space for each of us here than you do in
> Texas has given Canadians a more relaxed view about all these things. It
> is sadly easier to build up animosity when you feel that you are
> cramped. I bet a Canadian winter would you do you good. It is easier to
> love your neighbors when you are cuddling up for warmth. (smile)<<

As I stated, yours is a lovely place, which I enjoy visiting.  I think it
may, alas, be you who are cramped from all that cuddling up for warmth.(smile)

> >>It is also easier here to be very careful when referring to another's
> country.
> Lorne<<

'Twas not me who ever brought up the condition, real or perceived, of someone
else's country in the first place.  My original comments had to do with seat
belts, which are still not illegal to install, if you wish, in Texas.
Chuck Harris
Only having trouble with Matilda's reverse gear and this new 6.0 version of
AOL

///
///