Broken Sub-Frame

To: "Morgans" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Broken Sub-Frame
From: "Don Sforza" <djsforza@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 18:10:13 -0400
OK... first REAL tragedy on the Moggie.
My '66 4/4 has a broken subframe... the steel cracked where the lower tube
exits the main part of the frame, and it is "swinging" in the breeze.
Thankfully I found it before I attempted to assemble the front suspension.

My question is: Am I doomed to spend $575 USD for a new one, or can this one
be repaired?

I've removed the subframe and it's now sitting on the garage floor. I've
read the Fred Sission and Cutberth Twilly discourses on the replacement of
the offending part, and quite frankly, I'm a little overwhelmed with the
fact that the new ones are NOT drilled and that the frame alignment is
critical. With the bodywork in place, the necessary measuring, etc., will
NOT be an easy task. Short of just drilling the new one using a posterboard
template of the old bolt holes (cheap and easy, but not very accurate),
what's the group's consensus?

If some welding and reinforcing gussets/patches will do the job, so much the
better.

What's say...?

Don Sforza           djsforza@snet.net                 KA1WV
1966 4/4 S.V Comp     3/4 Morgan Group               B1290
1974  TR6           CT Triumph Register             CF25689U