Re: "Muscleing" in a new main spring

To: Don Sforza <djsforza@snet.net>
Subject: Re: "Muscleing" in a new main spring
From: Charles Hill <candahill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 20:37:36 -0500
Don,

What I did when working on my 60 +4 years ago was to make a spring
compressor out of 3/8" all thread rod, a couple of seat belt washers and
nuts.  I ran the rod down the middle of the spring then tightened the
nuts on each end to compress the spring to fit.  I then tied the
compressed spring with parachute shroud line (I was in the Air Force at
the time and it was readily avilable.) I tied it about every 90
degrees.  I removed the spring from the compressor, installed it and
after everything was bolted up, cut the lines and removed them.
Everything went together very easily that way.

Regards,
Charles Hill