Re: Smiths Sender threads for fuel tank

To: deemi@juno.com, emog@lyris.dundee.net
Subject: Re: Smiths Sender threads for fuel tank
From: Paul Rollins <s_debaker@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:34:22 -0700
Could these be BA (British Association)  threads? My 1953 Singer has lots
of them, and so have other, older British cars I have owned. Small sizes --
BA 2 and 4 -- are pretty close to SAE threads. With a little force, or even
re-tapping to SAE, people get SAE fasteners into the holes. The head I
think you describe is called "cheesehead" by the British manuals. I suspect
yours is a BA 2 screw. BA screws are available through some of the
British-parts suppliers.

Paul

At 01:33 PM 10/25/2004 -0400, deemi@juno.com wrote:

>Hi, I just was putting back in my smiths sender on my tank and did not
>have the screws to mount it,
>I ordered one from Moss that applies to MG, but the threads start to bind
>after about 4 turns, and the heads I thought or remember then to be more
>like a cylinder than a pan head screw,
>
>does anyone know what is correct not just in type but is it a whitworth
>thread, I dont want to hurt my tank
>
>thanks
>
>Bob Bowie in Maine
---