Re: [oletrucks] rear end replacement

To: wildm@worldaccessnet.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end replacement
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:00:01 EST
In a message dated 02/10/1999 12:02:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wildm@worldaccessnet.com writes:

<< Right now I
 have an open driveline but I'm not sure of what it's from, gearing, etc.
 If I decide to go the replacement route, I'm wondering if a
 regular 10-bolt will work. Any suggestions/things to look for?

 matt w.
 '50 3100

If you're not running a lot of horsepower, consider a 7.5" rear from a full-
size GM. Mine is from an 84 Pontiac Parisienne, and it was a straightforward
installation. The main drawback is that stock-offset wheels rub slightly on
the inside (the tires do, not the wheels). To center my 8" wheels in the
wells, I'm running 3.75" backspacing with VERY slight rubbing, but I think a
narrower wheel with 3" backspacing would be perfect. My rear isn't lowered,
but I think I'd have to make some kind of modifications if I wanted to lower
it.
I also have a 78 Pontiac Bonneville 8.5" rear available, and it is enough
wider to possibly fit with stock wheels. Drawback here is mainly the 5" bolt
circle as opposed to 4.75" (I'm running Camaro discs on the front).
Gear ratio will tend to be ridiculous with these rears, 2.73 in the 84 and
2.56 in the 78, but it may be worth trying. My 48 can run 75mph all day long
with these gears, but long up-slopes have it struggling for breath. Shifting
down manually to second gear allows it to maintain speed while still not over-
revving (or even exceeding 4000 rpm). That's with a 350TH, not a 4-spd manual.
Hope this helps.

Mike Jensen
48 1/2 ton