RE: [oletrucks] Sick 327

To: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Sick 327
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:05:48 -0500
>>Okay, okay!  I've tuned up V8s before and never any had problems.  I just
>>never handled high performance engines.
>>My '57 has a late 60's 327 that I had replaced coil, points, cap, rotor,
>>and added a complete set of Accel high performance ignition wires.  Plugs
>>look okay and didn't need replacement.
>>It starts on first pop, almost like it has electronic ignition and idles
>>quite well.  But, when I take it out on the road, it misses badly...dang!
>>I am a little frustrated with this one.
>>Q: Got any ideas?
>>
>>Note:  It has a Edelbrock 4bbl and idles about 1100 RPM and there is
>>commonly the smell of raw gas after shutting it down.  When running idle
>>the exhaust fumes are quite rich (wife gets angry..says it chokes out the
>>entire neighborhood).  It's set up with a Edelbrock hi-rise and headers, so
>>there's no flow restriction there.  The mis-firing is not consistent and is
>>at times random.
>>Q: Could the fuel mixture be too rich and occasionally (maybe randomly)
>>fouling the plugs while on the fly?
>>
>>Tom B. 57 Stepside 3200

Maybe you have a plug wire intermittently grounding to the chassis??
I had a friend with a souped up Camaro that had similar problems, turned
out that he had a weak place in the plug wire insulation that was firing
through to the engine block. His was an HEI though still I guess it could
happen with conventional ignition.
He found his by firing up the car at night so he could see the arc.
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck