Re: [oletrucks] leaf springs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] leaf springs
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:22:10 -0800
If I understand the question correctly, the brass "collar" is an insert that
goes in the eye of your leaf spring.  The intent is for the bolt to ride on
brass, not the metal eye of the spring.  Typical for these old trucks, is the
brass insert wears out and the bolt rides directly in the eye and wears it
elliptically.  The A#1 fix is a new eye leaf with new inserts.  However, if the
ellipse isn't too bad, insert the brass ring and ream it out to the proper
diameter (note the brass insert should already be several sizes too small
specifically intended to be reamed).  That's what a local spring shop did for
me for $5 per eye.  They had the exact reaming tool and everything.  They said
that if the insert cracks during installation, then the eye is too macked and
the leaf needs replacing.  Good luck.

>>> "Thomas E. Farrow" <teftom@interpoint.net> 03/08/99 07:04PM >>>
Does anyone know what the brass spacer/collar that comes with the spring
bolt (for the rear of the front spring in a 3/4 50) is for? I ordered two
and they look like the originals except for the collar. The main spring
rolls up to form an elliptical opening that the pin/bolt goes thru. This
must be worn out of round but seems to be OK. I'm just cleaning/painting the
springs, putting them back together and renewing the shackles. Everything
looks OK.
 Is there anyone in South Florida on this list. I need a painter to paint my
body parts so I can put things back together.   Tom