[oletrucks] Introduction...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Introduction...
From: Larry Holder <laholder@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 08:44:27 -0500
Hi to all,

I'm so pleased to find this list and so many kindred souls.

In '92 I bought a sweet '47 3100 and a not so good '50 3600 from my old
high school buddy, Dave Sampson. Dave, a blacksmith and welder, lives in
Alta Vista, Kansas. All the work was done in his shop

I decided to go with the five window cab, the 235 ('62 transplant), four
speed and the (3:73) 3/4 ton rearend from the '50. I probably could have
done a very nice restoration on the '47 but wanted a driver.

We dismantled both trucks and bead blasted and primed all the frame and
body parts. Cataloged all the parts and I spent the winter saving up and
tracking down parts. I went back to Kansas in July, '93.

Most of the parts came from Jim Carter in Independence, Mo. They were very
helpful and deliveries were timely. Thanks to all at Carter's!!

I replaced all the brake lines, rebuilt the master and slave cylinders,
turned the drums and replaced all the shoes. I decided to replace the knee
action shocks with modern ones. The front end was rebuilt with new tie-rod
ends. Stock wheels with 7.50 x 16, 10 ply belted radials all around.

I converted to 12 volts and got a great 60 amp alternator from 5th Avenue
Antique Auto in Clay Center, Kansas. Thanks, Randy. I put in electric
wipers as this truck was headed to Seattle.

The interior is stock, except painted a light cream yellow with brown
headliner and door panels. The seat is done with brown bison (buffalo)
leather. Stiching by Goodson Auto Trim in Manhattan, Kansas. Beautiful,
comfortable, and tough. We had to replace lower door posts, cab corners,
and floor panels. All the hardware in the doors was replaced.

About this time, I was running out of money and time. but the truck was
running and drivable. So I decided to postpone painting and engine work.
Grover and I got in and took off for Seattle. Grover was a kitten I had
become very attached to during my two months at Dave's. In fact, Grover and
his 5 siblings were born in the shop about three days after I got there.

The truck ran great except for rust from the tank. I had to replace fuel
filters several times. Cruising speed about 60, 10 to 12 mpg. I got to
Seattle only two days late for work.

In the summer of '96, I decided it was time to rebuild the 235. I bought a
rebuilt head with no-lead valves and seats. The block was good and went to
the machine shop for it's first overbore. The shop in Fort Riley, Ks.
provided all the bearings, gaskets, pistons and seals (Napa). I bought
Fenton headers, Mallory ignition and Wayne covers from Patrick's in
Arizona. A Clifford 4-barrel water heated manifold, cam, and pushrods from
Stovebolt in Oregon. I used a Holly 390 CFM carburetor. Rose's in
Manhattan, Ks. did the exhaust and mufflers.

The engine rebuild was more fun than most legal activities. The only
problems were the rear main seal, which I had to later replace (in the
truck from underneath), and the solid lifters. Patrick bailed me out by
pointing out that the '62 had to use the lifters with the oil groove.
Before that I was getting no oil to the rockers.

Wow, this engine runs great. Really strong bottom end torque and 15 to 18
MPG! I've put about 3500 miles on since the build and it keeps getting
stronger. I've since moved to Brooklyn, NY and don't drive it daily. About
a month ago, I drove back to Dave's for more work.

I'm going to replace the springs, put discs on the front, add power brakes
and paint it (finally). I'm thinking about a 3:55 ring and pinion, and
restoring the bed. It's a sheet of 1" plywood now.

That's my (rather long) story. Does anyone have any suggestions on the
front discs? I'd like to keep the 6-lug wheels. Any experience with power
brake kits?

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for your time

Larry, '47/'50 3100