[oletrucks] Kingpins and bushings

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Kingpins and bushings
From: "Carlos F. Madero" <amigos@esn.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 99 17:54:44 PDT
I need some advice from our experts.
The front axle of my '53 1/2 ton is at the FLASH (is that the acronym for the
local auto shop?) for replacement of kingpins / bushings.  The gentleman just
called me and says the new bushings are too loose, he has done 100's of axles
and the bushings are PRESSED into the steering knuckles, and the ones that I
provided fall right in .  I pointed to him (and the folks at CHEVY DUTY did
too) that the Shop Manual says the 1/2 ton has "floating" bushings, and that
the larger trucks do have pressed and reamed bushings.  He has reluctantly
agreed to put it back together, says the only thing that will hold the bushings
in place are the little metal caps in the ends?
Now I am begining to have doubts of what exactly does "floating bushings" mean.
 I remember reading twice recently about topic.  Can any of you offer some
support?
I thank you in advance!

Carlos Madero
'53 5-window-without-a-front-end