Re: [oletrucks] Choice of engine and drivetrain for '48

To: "andy rose" <hqtrosea@wir.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Choice of engine and drivetrain for '48
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:11:44 -0400
Andy, the 230 and 4-speed would make a nice powertrain for your truck. The
mounting for this powertrain though, is entirely different than the '48
used. originally there  was a
single front mount under the timing cover, the 230 uses side mounts. At the
rear the '48 used bellhousing mounts on each side - the new
trans/bellhousing only has a crossmember support under the tranny. So you
will have to do some adapting, but no cutting of floor, firewall or other
sheetmetal should be needed.

You mention entire drivetrain so from the tran back you should go open
drive, a 55-59 rear is the same width, (3.90) gears will work with minimum
expense, more work if you can find a Chevelle or other open car rear with a
better cruisin' gear.

Jack / Wnter Park FL

For an easy installation, a 235