[oletrucks] early NAPCO question?

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] early NAPCO question?
From: "Steve Bobst" <mailman@netins.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:07:42 -0500
My father has an early NAPCO conversion (WWII?) The front end third member
is located on the left hand side rather than the right hand side like the
task force trucks.  The front end is a half ton housing with 3.90 gears, but
the hubs and drums are 3/4-1 ton variety.   This set up was installed under
a 1 ton task force dual wheel truck that he located in a bone yard, so the
actual year of the NAPCO conversion is unknown.  It has been suggested that
the running gear may have been produced during the war using whatever parts
that were available.

   The problem he is having is that the hubs are missing.  The outer axles
(spindles?) are threaded in the center and have splines on the outside.  The
hubs are 3/4 or 1 ton even though the axle is a half ton.
Lock out hubs would be prefered as the front gear ratio is 3.90 and the rear
is 4.56.

   We would appreciate any information on what this system may be from, or
if anyone has any suggestions on where to locate hubs, or even know of a
picture or diagram as to what they should look like.  We do know that
NEITHER of the 1/2 ton nor the 3/4 ton hubs from post 1956 units will work.

Thanks
Steve