Re: [oletrucks] 6V radio? or 6V to 12V DC converter?

To: Tim Lloyd <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 6V radio? or 6V to 12V DC converter?
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:44:06 -0400
Tim,
  I had one of those conversions done on my radio where they put a small
circuit board that uses the original tuner to tune FM signals and then af is
introduced into the final stage. Completely undetectable and original
appearance however I find the sound  a little disappointing. I don't know how
anyone heard much on those old radios. The truck radio used only one tube in
the af amp, not like the 2 tube push-pull amp in a same year Delco Olds radio.
Once you get going down the road and have to turn it up to overcome the engine
and wind noise it sounds fairly distorted and harsh. So much for the mellow
vacuum tube sound. I will keep the radio but if I decide on a CD player I
think I will buy a remote control unit for the glove box with speakers behind
the seat and/or under dash.

Grant 50 3100