[oletrucks] Modern version of a NAPCO

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Modern version of a NAPCO
From: BMORRI1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:47:01 EDT
The other day I went to visit the parts department at the local Chevy dealer
and I noticed a very interesting van on their lot.  It was obviously a 3/4 or
1 ton, but it seemed to sit up higher than normal.  Turns out that it was
modified by a conversion company (just like NAPCO did).  The set-up was
actually very similar to a NAPCO as well.  It had a solid front axle housing
in front (not independent suspension like the new trucks) and it had 4" lift
blocks in the back.  These blocks actually looked like NAPCO clones!  It did
not, however, have the divorced transfer case as the NAPCOs do...it was
connected to an automatic/overdrive trans.  I can't remember the name of the
conversion company, but I did notice that their conversion added just over
$7000 to the price tag of an already expensive van.  I wonder who would order
an expensive heavy-duty 4x4 panel van?

Brian Morrison
'58 NAPCO 1/2-ton