[oletrucks] Finally runs right!

To: "'Kevin Lake'" <lakek@oit.edu>, "'Wayne Osborne'" <wcosborne@inetnow.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Finally runs right!
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:23:49 -0700
Guys,
I've been chasing my tail so to speak for the last two months now.  In that
course of time, I think I've learned a lot.
The misfire seemed to have happened from burning points (two sets in the
last 4-months).  After the first set was replaced, the distributer advance
plate was incorrectly grounded (PO had simply looped the ground wire back
to the plate again - duh).  I then changed it so that it grounded to the
distributer body (at the vacuum advance mounting screw).  Thinking that
they were still good, I neglected to check the points again.  As time
progressed, the problem seemed to get better then get worse ultimately
driving me nuts.

I had replaced everything associated with the ignition system but the
points.

While at the local 76 station, I got to talking to a my mechanic friends.
 They urged me to replace the points and recheck the timing.  They had
indicated that the exhaust is indeed a little raw smelling.  We proceeded
to spend last Saturday nosing around.  Results were as follows:

Points:  Badly burned  => Replaced
Timing:  15 deg BTC  => Changed to 8 deg BTC
Edelbrock Carb:  HC=2000+ and CO 14%  => Adjusted to HC=395 and CO 3%
Rear-end Vibration on Backlash:  3-rear differential flange bolts loose,
yikes!  Pinon now has to be reset. => Tightened bolts and refilled with new
gear oil.

Notes:
1.) Operating temp now runs at 180 deg, was around 160 deg F.
2.) No more hestitation on acceleration.  No more vibration on
deceleration.
3.) No more fast idle after hard run.
4.) No more raw gas smell.
5.) Runs as smooth as silk!

Say, Anybody out there got a spare rear axel assembly with good
flange/housing?

Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200