[oletrucks] Where in the world is

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Where in the world is
From: "Bob bdfentr" <bdfentr@zeus.symet.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:58:00 CST
Several questions to follow after this intro:
I have purchased a 3/4 ton 1954 Chevy PU with a 235? and 4 speed w/compound low
gear. Having started taking it apart, I have noticed several things that did
not show when I bought the truck. I have also bought a 3/4 ton 1973 Cheyenne as
a donor vehicle for the front end, drive line, all motor parts including
mounting brackets, wiring, power steering system, and brake systems. Now having
all this in hand I started removing the fenders, running boards, drive line, in
effect gutting the truck for a frame up re-build. The reason is am using a 3/4
tuuck for a donor is because of the massive braking power and I plan to use
this in rough country on camping trips. The donor truck also has a positrac
rear end and a winch will go on the front. Now comes the tough part. I thought
about getting a different cab, but here goes-

Front fenders, where they are bolted to the body, the welting material is
rotted and the turndown lip were the fenders bolt is mostly missing. Is there
someone or a vendor that makes a "lip" or metal piece that will mig weld to
replace the part that is rusted off?

Floorboard is fairly solid, except under the seat. Water collected there. You
can stick your finger thru it like no body's business. I thought about just
popping the seat mount out and replacing the floor with a piece of sheet steel,
and then welding a longitudal brace to reduce/eleminate the "oil can" look as
the floor bends with weight added. The other idea is to put the original seat
mounts back in. Any ideas?

Front end (IFS from donor 73 Chevy PU)- anything is possible with a welding
torch! As long as it all lines up and the "level" of the front end is the same
as it was on the donor truck. This would keep the camber angles correct within
the needed range. Has anyone out there installed a 70's model Chevy PU front
end on a AD 3/4 ton chassis? Is it possible to have a close to bolt on
situation?
 (Please keep in mind the 1954 3/4 and 1954 1/2 ton chassis are not the same.)

Rear axle - are there any specific problems using a rear axle that is wider as
long as some offset rims are available? Spring mounts should be pulled from the
donor truck and placed on the rails of the 1954 chassis.

There are tons of other questions I would like to ask, but most of them are
going to be answered with a welding rod and cutting torch! The original intent
is to have a somewhat stock looking 54 pickup when it is finished. Any and all
suggestions are welcome as I feel silly about asking now after having bought
everything!

Thanks in ADvance...Bob Fentress