Re: [oletrucks] Drum brakes

To: "Brinkman" <brinkman@warwick.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Drum brakes
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:29:46 -0700
Check the backing plate for a slot (about 1" long) near the bottom of the
plate.  You should be able to reach in with a brake spoon (or a "custom"
screwdriver) and loosen the star-adjuster.  If you have an IPB of the brake
you should be able to see what I am referring to.  You will have to play
with it a little to find out which way it needs to be turned.  If you still
can't get the drum off (and you don't plan on reusing the brake pads) you
can GENTLY and slowly heat the outside edge (the braking surface) of the
brake drum and then try to remove the drum.  This last suggestion may sound
stupid, but is there a retaining screw in the face of the drum that is
being obscured by rust or dirt?  I did this on an old IHC, and finally
discovered a single retaining screw that was perfectly camouflaged with
rust and dirt.  Good luck with it.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco