[oletrucks] EUREKA! RE: Loose throttle rod, intake manifold leak, et. al

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] EUREKA! RE: Loose throttle rod, intake manifold leak, et. al.
From: Jeremy Eastman <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:49:13 -0400
FYI, RE: "Loose Throttle Valve Rod", WAS "Baffled on '53 235ci manifold
gasket leakage," WAS "Finding Intake Manifold Leaks," .. et. al.
The lag on sudden accel and gasping at sudden hi RPM's I was getting after
droppping my rebuilt head on ARE related to the carb, but when looking
through install instructions for my NAPA rebuilt carb , I "got" what the
problem probably is (yep, and who probably caused it)..

*** especially after reading how you absolutely should drain gas after
disconnecting your gas line and before hooking it up (which I didn't), like
during my new rebuilt head install). ***

This explains why my performance problems came about so inexplicably after
the head install- I forgot to flush.  Seems like the increase in gas line
pressure/flow from disconnecting the pipe and then re-filling an empty bowl
loosens alot of gunk from the gas pump diaphragm..  this stuff is probably
in my carb now causing the mild sporadic cough and poor accel..

It's enough to make me go "street rod" with my truck and put one of those
new-fangled "gas filter" thingamajigs on while I'm at it.  Oh well, I did
manage to find and fix a few other things that needed it, anyways