Re: [oletrucks] '56 Rockers

To: MIKE BOTELER <FRVT83E@prodigy.com>, oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '56 Rockers
From: ace0027@ibm.net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:27:26 -0500
Mike,
    I replaced my steps a few months ago. Here how I did it

    I cut out the original steps, leaving about 1/2 there all the way
around. This 1/2 inch I cleaned really well.
    Then I set the new step on top of this 1/2 lip I had left and welded it
in. I did not however weld about a inch either on the step or on the
vertical portion that goes to the floor. In other words the bottom corners.
I didn't because of the pain grinding in a corner like that can be.
    One the underside I welded 1 inch beads then none 2 inches, then 1
inch, then 2 none, you get the idea. I did weld the corners totally that I
had not on the top.

    After the steps where back in, I spot welded the brace that runs from
the floor to the vertical piece and then (on the underside) used body chalk
on the seams. I'm not sure I have seen these on trucks.

    Painted them (again on the underside) and bought myself a coke! =)

    As for the door, Mine was on the frame, but not bolted. And the door
post did not flex at all.

    Hope this helps!
    Terry & Ace