[oletrucks] Sad night

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, Andy <rootinroo@yahoo.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Sad night
From: ace0027@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 23:18:45 -0500
    In 1969 I was 7 years old and remember so very well one Saturday
morning. It was still early and I was in bed sleeping, on a cold late
fall morning in the southern Iowa town we lived in.
    My Dad came into my room and yelled for me to get up and get
dressed, that we had a chore to do.
    I was fast out of bed and dressed, imagining what adventure would be
ahead, not that it mattered since I was going to be with Dad. I found
him setting at the table drinking coffee, and waiting for me.
    Soon we were off, and driving through town. We pulled into the Chevy
dealership and stopped. My excitement grew, and inside we went. The man
there knew my Dad by name, and after a short talk, handed him some keys
and shook his hand. "Come-on boy" My Dad said and back outside we went.
Somewhat confused I started walking back to our truck. (A 54 GMC)
    Then I heard my Dad say "Hey where you going?"
    I turned to see him standing beside a brand new Olive Green Chevy
P/U! It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!
    We drove it home from there and picked up Mom. Then we spent the
rest of the day driving it around showing it to friends, and even
stopped at A&W for hamburgers and Root beer Floats before going home.

    I'm telling you all this cause tonight, while we were all inside the
house we heard a loud bang and went running outside to see. There was
the 69 up in the neighbors yard the bed smashed and the front fender
crinkled from hitting the neighbors car. The bed also was pushed up into
the back of the cab causing a dent along the back.
    Setting where the truck was was a Totally smashed Mercedes, with no
driver! The cops found him, a block over. Of course drunk, no lic. and
no insurance.

    I will fix it, but I knew you guys with understand, and sympathize
with my story.

Terry & Ace