Re: [oletrucks] vin #

To: "james salley" <jamessalley@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] vin #
From: "Rob Jacobs" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:46:07 -0700
First, you need to determine what model you have.  Is it a pickup?  Does it
have an extra bed support (upright portion that would accept bed stakes)
about 1/4 of the way back from the front support?  If so, you probably have
a 3/4 ton.  If not, probably you have a 1/2 ton.  If 3/4 ton, it is possible
that the open driveline was stock, but if 1/2 ton, then someone did you a
favor.  The closed drive line is not real popular with owners (except those
who are going for completely stock).  The rear differential changed in 1956
(really 1955 2nd series) to an open driveline in the 1/2 tons.  It also had
3.90 gearing versus 4.11 (another plus).  This was a relatively simple swap
along with the drive shaft, but also required a later model tranny.  The 4
speed tranny out of a 1956 or later also bolted up to the same bellhousing,
so that was a simple open driveline swap.

See if you can determine more info about your truck, and maybe we can get a
bit more specific.  I would suspect that someone did in fact put a 235 in in
place of the 216, an open driveline, a tranny from a later model Chevy, and
a rearend from a later model Chevy.  All are easily done, and can be pretty
easily undone if you decide later to go back to stock, but in the meantime,
someone clearly did you a favor in making your truck more roadable.

Rob